Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I put fonts into PC COBOL reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Clive!

Never even thought of this! I've been sendign escape codes
and/or loading font tables to the printer manualy. This
looks like it will work for barcodes and images as well -- gona check it out this weekend.

This is only good for small reports. When I tried using HTML for a 200 page report, I let Explorer run overnight and it still had not read the whole file. Is there another program that reads HTML that I can use to print large reports?

I it never gets that far.

Here is some code that works under Fujitsu COBOL on a PC to control printing. You should be able to set up multiple special names for different line records in the report. The special name is defined in the environment & specified on the 01 of the FD.

I hope this is what you need or will lead you to a solution.

ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
CONFIGURATION SECTION.
SPECIAL-NAMES.
PRINTING MODE CHAR-TYPE IS
FOR ALL
IN SIZE 6 POINT
AT PITCH 13
WITH FONT GOTHIC
AT ANGLE 0 DEGREES
BY FORM F0202.
|
INPUT-OUTPUT SECTION.
FILE-CONTROL.
SELECT INVENTORY-LISTING-OUT
ASSIGN TO PRINTER
ORGANIZATION IS SEQUENTIAL.
|
|
DATA DIVISION.
FILE SECTION.
FD INVENTORY-LISTING-OUT.
01 INVENTORY-RECORD-OUT CHARACTER TYPE CHAR-TYPE.
02 INV-LINE-OUT.
03 ITEM PIC X(6).
03 FILLER PIC X.
|
|

Depending on how you produce reports, you might want to look at the

STYLE clause

(extension) for a common add-on Report Writer product. See:

Look in "Report Group Descriptions" for "style clause"

See, for example, the following,

"Apart from NORMAL, each style-name names a style or special effect that must be obtainable from the output device. The type of output device in use is given in the TYPE clause of the SELECT statement. The style-names available are either predefined or user-defined for the particular output device. This check, and the processing of the styles themselves, may be delayed until run time by writing DEFERRED in the TYPE clause. This enables the program to run, in theory, with a variety of different output devices, even when they are widely dissimilar. For a mainframe, special device handling is usually the province of a user-written report file handler - see Installation and Operation. For example, STYLE HIGHLIGHT might be implemented by any of the following means:

shadow printing,
switching to a different font,
printing in larger letters,
on a screen, by displaying intense,
"double-hammering" on an impact line-printer."

Bill Klein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back