Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I prevent people from logging on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiat2

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
US
I just noticed that when I started up my computer, I was able to enter any username with a blank pw and it logged me on. It went on to ask if i wanted to personalize my settings. I did a quick look into the control panel but no luck.
how do i set it up so it will only accept current users?

There are a few ways to do it in Win98 or 98SE:
In the Control Panel:
1. Select the USERS icon and use the wizard to set up passwords.
2. Select the NETWORK icon and set it to User Level under the Access control tab.
3. Select the PASSWORDS icon and set it to customized under the User Profiles tab.
4. Password-protect your screensaver.

But the bottom line is that Windows 98 is not a secure system (never designed(?) to be) - similarly for win95 & ME, so whatever you do there's generally a way round it.

You need an NT based system (2k or XP) for the security you're asking for (if you're using Windows that is).

How true! But there IS one other option availible in some of the newer BIOS'.... quite a few allow passwording for boot functions in addition to CMOS access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back