Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I prevent internal spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

shazbot

MIS
Nov 20, 2000
US
We have an issue with internal users sending and forwarding spam email. We have internal policies in place but would like to prevent them from doing this. Is there a way to limit who people can see in the address book, or how many people can send an adress to?

shazbot,

First the bad news: To my knowledge there is no way to limit the number of recipients that your users can send an email to. Also, with the "out-of-the-box" install of GroupWise, there is no way to block messages based on content.

Now the good news: There are two small shining possibilities which may help your situation. If you are using GroupWise 6.5 and purchase a product called GWAVA 2.5, I'm pretty sure that you can scan internal (post office) mail and block messages based on content (though, in my experience this could take a lot of setup and ongoing maintentance). Check out for more info on this.

Also, depending on how your GroupWise system is set up, you can configure it to limit which users are visible to other users in the address book. In order to do this, the users you wish to "segregate" need to be in separate post offices. You can then limit their "visibility" to the post office. This way, each user will only be able to see the other users in their post office. Unfortunately, this does not limit their ability to send email to other users if they already know the email address.

Hope this helps.
-Ron

-We all play from the same deck of cards, it's how we play the hand we are dealt which makes us who we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back