Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I pass query string containing underscores in netscape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quilmes

Programmer
Aug 13, 2000
AU
Hi

I have written some Perl scripts which allow users to manipulate a database from a web interface.
The problem I am experiencing is that when a particular script tries to pass data to another script in the query string, Netscape gives an invalid URL error. I am quite sure that the problem is that the query string contains underscore characters. e.g.

Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.site.com/script.cgi?class_id=1&class_name=first[/URL]

This method of passing data works fine in IE. I guess IE must encode certain characters when passing query strings - I don't really know.

Anyway, I tried using the URI perl module but it is not installed on the web server that I have to use.
Are there any other ways to pass data with characters such as underscores between perl scripts?
Or is it better to try and use the POST method to pass this data?

Thanks in advance.
[sig]<p>Joe Niland<br><a href=mailto:joe.niland@meniscus.com.au>joe.niland@meniscus.com.au</a><br><a href= Pty. Ltd.</a><br>[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back