Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i open recovered data from rar file ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fidoX

Technical User
Sep 1, 2012
SI
Hi there,

Normally, i do backups and put files on few other storage places too (external hdd, second hdd),
but this time, i deleted one rar file, where i had some backup files compressed.
I do some search with recovery application and found that file (rar file).
Everything went ok, recovery rar was fine.
Now , i can't open that rar in any way, always writes "file is corrupt or damaged".
File size is normal (70mb), so there is data in rar.
Is that any way to open that file or i can just forget about it ?

I did try a lot of winrar applications (for recovery, repair), but non application works or won't open rar file.

Thanks for any kind of information,
Best regards,
Matej

Dump the first part of this file (corrupted one) in hex and then dump the first part of a usable rar file in hex and look at them. Preferably, the usable file will be an earlier version of the corrupted file. You may be able to spot something in the corrupted file.
"so there is data in rar."There is space allocated, but it may no longer be your backup data. Comparing this with a usable file shoule show this. If it is no longer your data, no utility will help.

Thanks for the reply.

I was searching little deeper and i discovered this :
that this was not actually rar file, but media wav file.

Some more information:
I'm a musician and i use different types of media files, also wav.

But the thing it , when i created this rar backup, no wav files were in that rar file.
For expample:
I created rar named "Cubase Essential - Projects.rar". In those rar file were projects files from software Cubase and not wav's.
Then i lost or delete this file and when i restore that file back, i noticed it writes, when checking properties on that file, that it is media wav type file, cause i rename it to
wav extension and file can be opened in windows media player and file was playable.
Strange.
So, actually this is wav file , but the name for this file is "Cubase Essential - Projects.rar".

And i'm also confused about this,
that , when i make music, i make folders for each month,
example,
May, June, July, August....
So , i was making backup rar for month June and July, this is file which i'm searching for now.

(just an example)

I can't find even single file for June or July, neither rar file now,
well, i can't find rar, but this is wav file , but uses name from that rar which i was making backup.

Sorry, i hope i was understandable,

Best,
Matej

Sounds like the renaming got out of hand. You might look for a .wav file that is really the backup. You might have someone you know who works on computers for a living to take a look at your system. Lasstly, you might go to some technical service provider ans ask how much they would charge to help you.

Also, the file might have been "deleted" and possibly be recoverable (if nothng has over-written it). Again, this might require assistance,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back