Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I open Procom from Excel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrote

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
GB
How can I open Procom from Excel? I need to access several PBXs and collect the required data to complete cells in an Excel spreadsheet.
I have my script to collect data in Procom but need to be able to start this from excel - so simple admin staff can run the program in my absence.

Is there any reason you could have a "starter" script that launched Procomm then opened the necessary spreadsheet, followed by your main script? I don't know off the top of my head if Excel has the capability to launch other applications, so this might be one workaround.

Sorry for taking so long to get back.
My users are not the brightest stars in the sky and I need to keep it as simple as possible for them. If I can get them to click an 'update' button in Excel - go make a coffee, come back and hey presto! - spreadsheet updated, my life will be so much easier.
I'll try a few other things and see whaty I can do - thanks for the pointer though.

You can use the scheduler in Windows to start Procomm (and run your script)
at a givven time each day, updating your Excel-file.
Maby that could be a solution to you.

A Hyperlink perhaps ?
In the EXCEL spreadsheet ->
Insert Hyperlink
Text to Display = UPDATE
Link to: Existing File or Webpage
Look In: Navigate to the location of your script file
Select "OK"

Then when anyone clicks "UPDATE" in excel, your script runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back