Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I open port 21 in Windows 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbayter

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
CO
Hi,
I am running a web server in windows 2000 server and I need to open port 21 to setup the ftp server.
I check the open port and 21 is closed. I used to run an ftp server but the port was open by default. When I changed to win 2000 server I couldnt' do it.
Can anyone tell me how can I open a port?
Thanks,
sbayter

as far s i know, hehe, not saying much, you shouldn't have to open the port as there isn't a firewall installed on it. are you behind a router? if so you might need to do port forwarding to the ip of that machine. anyway, here is the HOWTW from MS. you might want to lok over this to make sure you have done everything correctly.

HOW TO: Set Up an FTP Server in Windows 2000
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional

This article was previously published under Q300662
IN THIS TASK
SUMMARY

Installing Internet Information Services
Configuring The FTP Service
SUMMARY
This article provides a step-by-step guide for setting up a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) server in a Windows 2000 environment for anonymous access.

back to the top
Installing Internet Information Services
Because FTP depends on Internet Information Services (IIS), you must first make sure that IIS is installed. To install IIS and the FTP service, follow these steps:
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
Select Add/Remove Windows Components.
In the Windows Components Wizard, select Internet Information Services (IIS), then click Details.
Select Common Files, Documentation, File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Server, and Internet Information Services Snap-In, and then click OK.
Click Next.
If you are prompted to configure Terminal Services, click Next.
If you are prompted for a path for a FTP root folder, type a suitable folder path. The default is C:\Inetpub\Ftproot. For additional security, an NTFS drive is preferred. Click OK to continue.
When you are prompted, insert the Windows 2000 CD or provide a path to the location of the files, and then click OK.
Click Finish.
IIS and the FTP service are now installed, but you must configure the FTP service before you can use it.

back to the top
Configuring The FTP Service
To configure the FTP service, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Programs, click Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Services Manager. (In Windows 2000 Professional, you can access Administrative Tools from Control Panel.)
Click the plus sign (+) next to the server name.
Right-click Default FTP Site, and then click Properties.
Click the Security Accounts tab.
Select Allow Anonymous Connections, and then select Allow Only Anonymous Connections.
Click the Home Directory tab.
Select Read and Log Visits, and clear Write.
Click OK to save these settings.
The server is now configured to accept incoming FTP requests. The files that you want to make available should now be copied into the folder for access.

Yep, without further info I'd suspect that the FTP Service just hasn't been started.

When someone says something like "need to open port 21" I guess I assume the FTP client's initial connection isn't even being accepted.

Thanks for the info.
the problem is that I have already done all that but it does not work, I 've tried everything but even though the ftp if running I cannot access it.
The last thing I tryind was to scan all port and it gave me that the port 21 was close so I guess that is why the ftp does not work.
I guess the solution would be to open the port but I don't know how to do it.
Thanks,
sbayter

'Opening a port' is simply starting a program that listens for connections at that port. If you have started the ftp server, and if it started without errors, and if it's configured to listen to port 21 then the port should be 'opened'.

Can you connect to the ftp server from a ftp client on the same machine?

Yes, I can connect fromanftpclientonthe same machine but not on others.
I scanned the port in the server and it said port21 is closed.
What do you think this is?
Thanks,
sbayter

It doesn't actually says anything.
This is what it says:
[red]
"Connecting to 24.60.21.120:21
Connect failure"
[/red]
sbayter

in iis admin -- is the FTP service paused or started?

and have you tried connecting using an ftp url?

ftp://username:password@24.60.21.120

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

HI,
Yes, the FTP is started.
Tried the using the URL but did not work.
Any clue what it could be?
Thanks, sbayter

In the IIS admin -- and in the FTP section .. there is a dropdown box where .. it is typed All Unassigned in the IP address box.

Use the drop down box and choose the ip address of the machine. Apply the change -- stop and start the service..

See if that works.

Next after that .. i would start looking at both file and IIS permissions. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

I 've already done that but nothing happens.
I 've uninstall the ftp and installed it back again but nothing.
I can't think anything else.
I think is that when I installed the FTP. The service is not opening port 21 and without open port there is not access.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks, sbayter

On Nov 26 you connected to the ftp server from a ftp client on the same machine. You connected via port 21. You proved the server is running.

I would look for a config item that denys hosts or doesn't allow connections. As always it may be a permissions problem that's biting you.

Good luck...

I haven't been able to make it work.
Please help I really need it. It's URGENT!!!!!
Thanks sbayter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back