Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can I open a query without running it

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndah

MIS
Dec 3, 2009
GB
Can someone advise how I can open a query without it running automatically? I have a query that takes a while to run on a large database and sometimes I want to see the results from the last time it ran
thanks
Lynda

A select query has no persistent effects on the database, the results are not written or stored anywhere. It is only a set of instructions on which fields, records, and order, to present. When you close the query view there is nothing saved.

You would have to run a make table query or an append query to save the results into a persistent table.

Maybe you can describe the query and tables and we can help optimize it to run faster.

lyndah said:
I want to see the results from the last time it ran
As MajP says, the only way to do that is to save the results somewhere (a new table, copy and paste into Excel, etc.). As soon as you close a query it's data is lost, it does not "remember" any previous results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back