Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I mute the phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipnTear

Programmer
Mar 29, 2001
US
I have a program that needs to communicate in a completely silent and invisible manner. I'm using AT commands to turn the modem speaker off but when my program accesses the modem, it creates a popping sound in the system speakers. If you mute the system speakers or manually turn the volume down the popping goes away.

This is not the case on all machines. It seems to be only on machines where there is a volume adjustment available for "Phone" in the same Windows program as the system volume. (When you double click the speaker icon in the system tray then go to options or advanced, you can select a multitude of sliders of which "Phone" or "Phone In" is included.) Muting the Phone volume also eliminates the popping sound.

I know how to mute the system volume using my program and have tried that. The problem there is a "circle\slash" symbol shows up over the speaker icon in the system tray which is undesirable. I have not been able to figure out how to mute the Phone volume in a universal manner.

I would appreciate any input on this at all. My goal is to be silent and invisible.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back