Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I make use of arrays that don't work in transitional doctypes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitsuin

Vendor
Aug 23, 2010
GB
Hello everyone, I have a question that relates to a previous thread I started. In that thread one of the problems identified was that I tried to use arrays in the same way I would in C++. Like this:

Code:
if ( code[4] = A ) { code[4] = S ; }
if ( code[4] = B ) { code[4] = M ; }
if ( code[4] = C ) { code[4] = I ; }
if ( code[4] = D ) { code[4] = L ; }
if ( code[4] = E ) { code[4] = E ; }

BillyRayPreachersSon, Feherke and Vacunita were pretty insightful but my question is if I still need to use arrays in the same way but for different purposes webpage-wise, what language(s) do I need to learn in order to do so?

They seem to work with a html frameset doctype but not in transitional. At that point the arrays are rendered useless, which is typical seeing as I need the transitional doctype for the page to be displayed correctly. This is why I ask what I should do or learn in order to marry the two working parts together. Any and all help with this will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Hi

( If anybody is interested, the old discussion was in thread216-1617302 and actually was about strings, not arrays. ;-) )
hitsuin said:
I still need to use arrays in the same way but for different purposes webpage-wise, what language(s) do I need to learn in order to do so?
You will have to explain that "webpage-wise", but if you only need client-side data manipulation, there is no other language to learn, JavaScript is the only. If you need server-side operations, almost any language is good for that, including JavaScript.
hitsuin said:
They seem to work with a html frameset doctype but not in transitional.
Sorry, but I do not believe that.
hitsuin said:
At that point the arrays are rendered useless
Could you explain what you mean by "rendered useless" ?

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back