Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I make " View -> Details" a default setting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredNoB

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
GB
On windows explorer windows using the View menu, files can be displayed as either thumbnails,tiles, icons, list or details. My windows display files using the 'icons' default, when I change it to 'details' it defaults back to 'icons' when I restart. Is there any way to set the view properties to use 'details' as the default on a permanent basis? TIA.

On the window set the details view. Then go to Tools|Folder Options. The button at the top says "Apply to all folders". Click that and from then on it will be the default.

Great, Thanks. Easy when you know how!!

XP by default only saves 400 folder customizations (Service Pack 2 increases this substantially).

If not using Service Pack 2, download the Microsoft TweakUI utility and use it to increase the folder customization limit. (Found under the Explorer, Customization section). Set it to at least 800.

Then reboot. Open Windows Explorer and pick any folder. Set all the View options that you wish. Then click Tools, Folder Options, View, Apply to all folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back