Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I lower fan speed on DL380 G2? (Under Linux) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pldl380

Technical User
Apr 2, 2009
US
Ok guys, I stumbled across this forum recently and found some useful info about this server that I recently came accross. I'd like to stick to some version of linux. I had Opensuse 11.1 installed on this server earlier today as a test and was able to download the support pack for SLES 8.0. When I ran the install script I found it brought the fans to a point that I could deal with. Now if the server had to reboot it wouldn't throttle down the fans again until the script was run again.

So I'm starting at square one. Pretty much where I should have when I got the server. downloaded the support pack and was able to wipe the server clean and reset all settings to default. Fans automatically throttle down when I'm in the setup utility.

I'm pretty familiar with Ubuntu and Debian and I've used opensuse a bit in the past. I was sticking with Opensuse due to it's similarity to SLES.

So, short of installing windows (which I don't really want to do at this point) what free open source OS would be best with this server and allow me to monitor it's health and of coarse lower the fan speed?

Thanks!

Firstly, I would start with making sure you are running the latest firmware levels as they can often resolve a lot of these sort of issues.

With regard to the SLES Support Pack, you will need to confirm that it is configured to start during booting the OS because if you are saying that a reboot takes you back to a noisy server, then maybe the agents are not being started as part of the OS boot?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

That helps a bit. however I know that the server's bios is the latest version after checking out the HP support website.
only thing that wasn't up to date was the smart array 5i. I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the fans though...

Again the most important thing for me is to get the health monitoring tools working so I can keep a eye on the server remotely. And the fans can't run at full steam either, since it will likely be in a office environment. It may even have to stay in my bedroom for the first few months of service.

which brings me to my question, has anyone here gotten opensuse or ubuntu/debian with the health tools and fan control to work with the DL380 G2?

I've got an ml350 g3 running at home. I just installed the hpasm package and set it autostart. Now the fans kick down after the script runs at start up. I've had it working on both ubuntu and red hat.

When I was born I was so suprised I didn't talk for 18 months

fantastic, I'm going to give that a shot in the next day or so. when I figure it out I'll let you know.

well guys, I stumbled across the answer by accident...
I had already installed the proliant support pack, I just left out a simple step in the command line....
as root type in (without quotes) "hpasm activate".

I'm going to work on a way to do this in ubuntu or debian as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back