Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I login RS6000 machine with serial port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishbed

MIS
Nov 7, 2003
CN
I have an IBM 44P model 270 machine whitout graphic card , so I can only login with rs232 serial port.
When the machine power off and LCD displays "OK" , I login SP menu with serial port 1 using windows HyperTerminal , and select "power management" ->"power on system". the HyperTerminal displays the starting code same as machine's LCD. then I press "1" to enter SMS menu , selectt "console selection" , press "1" to select current console. then press "X" exit SMS menu. but after HyperTerminal displays "starting software..." "close stdin and stdout" the termial hung up ,although I press any key ,It make no response. but the machine already started.
What can I do next ? How can I login with serial port?

spmon -open nodeXXX (XXX the node you wish to open)

... I wasn't incomplete in my answer.
From the control workstation:
spmon -open nodexx

hi sbix:
can you tell me what the command "spmon" mean ?
since I can't login the machine , how can I input the command ?
My 44P machine only a AIX server not a SP workstation.

Yeah .... forgive me ... spmon is a command valid for SP systems ... :(((
If you can enter system from a network connection, could you post your /etc/inittab ?

sbix:
sorry , since I can't login the machine , I can't get the
/etc/inittab file.

thanks.

Well ... in order to login from a serial port you should have a such entry in /etc/inittab:
tty0:2:respawn: /usr/sbin/getty /dev/tty0

But probably you haven't ... now, the only thing is to boot from a CD, then mount / and modify the inittab

If you are on an SP system and the host responds, then you should be able to open an s1term (or spmon) to the node. The only way you wouldn't be able to login is that the tcp subsystem hasn't started (or you have paging problems, etc).

I would power off the node and then from the CWS I would open and `s1term frame slot` and watch the node boot to see if it actually is making it through the inittab and starting tcp.

Well ... cause it's XMAS you could be a little generous and give me a purple star
:))))

Have a Merry X-Mas

solarisone40 ... could you be a little more clear???
C'mon it's XMAS!!!
:)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back