Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I log into an Access database as Administrator so I can modify

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsarman

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
US
How can I log into an Access database as Administrator so I can modify the database?

I need to make design changes to a database that was created by somebody else.
When I open a form in design view I get this message:

“You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you make any changes, you may not be able to save them later.”

When I ignore this message and open the form in design view anyway the next message I get is this:

“You don’t have permissions to modify ‘form name’.
To modify this object, you must have Modify Design permission for it. If the object is a table, you must also have Delete Data and Update Data Permission for it.
Do you want to open as read-only?”

What do I need to do so I can make design changes?
Note: When I open the database I hold the shift button down so I can have access to design.

When I try to view and change my user permissions in Tools/Security/User and Group Permissions I get this message:
“You can’t view this object’s permissions. …..”

How can I login as Administrator so I can modify this database?

Thanks for your help.

Don't think you can do this even if you 'joined' the secured MDW.

Why not just open another blank database, import all the tables, forms, queries etcetera from the original one and redesign that one?

G.

Hi

You need to do/know two things

1. join the appropriate mdw

2. know the adminstrator password of that mdw

even that may not be enough if the prson who set up the security followed the rules to the letter, in that case you will need to know the user id the set up with Design change permissions, and the password to that UserId

I think you will find that if they did the security properly, then even the idea of setting up a blank database and importing the object will not work for you

However many people when setting up the security do half a job, and leave loop holes, perhaps you will jsut have to hope that the person who went before you was such a person!

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

As we are on the same topic of Access database user level security, I would like to know how to restrict users from adding data to particular tables (basically a read only permission). I tried setting up the user permissions as the admin of the database but still the user can add/delete records, Can someone tell me why this happens?

Sid007

If you set up specific permissions at the table level, this should work.

Some tips...
- Rather than setting up individual permissons, use groups and add users to groups. Users can belong to more than one group.
- Remove the default users group, or give it no access.
- Make sure an admin account is the owner of the tables.

Richard

If you want to create permissions so that certain users can not make any changes, then create an mde file.
With the db open go to Tools, Database Utilities, Make MDE File

Thanks for all your input. It's strange that somebody else in the company was able to open it in design view but we still can't open it on my computer.
We're still looking into it.

Hi

If someone else can open it in design view, look at two things, what is their log in id?, if the open it on your PC with their login id can they go into design view?

Where is the MDW file in use located is it on the C: drive?, if yes they are (possibly) using a different MDW to you.

As I said, part of the problem lies in not knowing if the person setting up the security did a complete job or not.

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back