Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I locate windows 7 dektop icons? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I have a lot of desktop icons and I am using 3 monitors. The other day the video driver updated throwing all my icons on the main screen/Monitor. The screen is packed and I think some are not displaying (are off the screen entirely, since the entire screen is full of icons; (I know I need house keeping that's another topic). I want to be able to find specific icon(s) so I can reposition/move them back to the specific monitor where I had created them.
Is the any way to write code or otherwise to find an icon from the desktop icons list and then have it highlight it using VB.net code? I can then see it and move it where I need to.
Or perhaps fid it with code and them change its X-Y position somewhere to the left so I can spot it.

TIA

DougP

I don't know if I would write a VB.NET app to organize my icons.
What I would do is - go to C:\Users\UseName\Desktop on my computer (that's where all icons are, right?), create some folders, move related icons to well named folders, and then - if needed - right-click on Desktop, View -> and check 'Auto-arrange icons'

That would go very well with: "I need house keeping" [pc2]

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Ok I am doing this but I still am unable to find their physical location on the screen. I have moved one into a new folder to test. But when I double click on the folder it opens in Windows Explorer which is not ideal. Is there a way to open a desktop folder so it shows the icons and not a list view?
and... I would like to pursue some sort of movement or location program.

DougP

Is there a way to open a desktop folder so it shows the icons and not a list view?" Yes. Just go to the upper-right corner of WE and click on "Change your view" icon. That's where you can select how your context will be displayed.

Believe it or not, I don't have any icons on my desktop.
I use a toolbar from the task bar. Right-Click on Task Bar > Toolbars > New Toolbar... and I pointed to my own folder with all my shortcuts I need - including some (sub)folders with more shortcuts. You should see reactions of some people when they look at my computer screen... Just the wallpaper of some tropical beach [lol]

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back