Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I know how much free space in a tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiros

Technical User
Jan 10, 2003
JP
Are there any command to show free space of a tape?
I use DDS4 catridge.

Not that I know of. Some utilities such as Legato and Netbackup attempt to estimate this based on expected capacity. If you are compressing the data this makes it even harder to guage since compressibility varies from file to file.

All you do know is how much data (in terms of bytes on disk) you have written, and the capacity of the tape. You can write some sort of count into your backups that estimates the free space remaining using these figures. As a start estimate that if you are using a compressed tape you are getting 2:1 compression - you will need to adjust your figures based upon experience.

P.S. compressed data on disk (gzip, .Z etc.) will not compress further when copied to tape.

JB

What about counting 'du' of the files/dirs/filesystems being wrtten to tape. This will give you an idea of how much has been written to tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back