Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I keep a log of the print queue? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkister

Technical User
Nov 1, 2001
RO
I am using a local lan of 5 computers with TCP/IP - 4 Win98 and 1 Win2k Pro (not server!). On the Win 2K Pro machine I have an HP 5PMP printer and I would like to keep a log of the print jobs comming from the local network. How can I do it?
I know that it should be somwhere in the computer management section, but I don't know how to do it.

You can go into the System Event Log, select View from the menu, select Filter, and select an Event Source of Print.

OK, but this doesn't respond to my problem, I want to see all the print events, for instance:

Let's say that my computer is called X and somebody from the network, let's say Y, prints to my shared printer Z.
I want that this event to be logged, with a time stamp, errors who send the job etc.
Is this possible?
I found something in "performance logs > counter logs", but there is kept only a numeric log of the jobs. I want an alfanumeric job log with the name, time stamp and the sender of the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back