Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I install Win XP Pro SP2 on a Vista Pre-installed PC ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ylan

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
CA
I just bought a brand-new DELL E520 PC , pre-installed with Win Vista Family Premium version . I would like to reformat the HD ( 250 Gigs) and install Win XP Pro SP2 (due to potentential conflicts with available older programs which run well under Win XP Pro ) .
Please advise :

1) Will I have any problem ?

2) How can I do this job ?

Thanks,

Dell E520 PC details : Dual Core Intel 4300 , 2 Gig Ram .

Save your Vista install by swapping the hard drive with a new one, or saving an Image of it at least.

Use something like the Belarc Advisor to make a detailed inventory of the hardware installed on your machine. Then make sure you can locate all the XP drivers you are going to require.

Belarc Advisor:

I have a read of this semi-related thread.

XP Drivers for a Gateway w/Vista?
thread779-1329243

Thanks linney... But I thought your tips were not really related to my question .

I just want to reformat my 250 Gigs HD which is currently pre-installed with Win Vista Family Premium ( by DELL) . I do not need to save the current disc image at all.

Then I would like to install Win XP Pro SP2 from scratch .

1) What kind of bootdisc should I need to reformat and partition this HD ?

2)Do I expect any issue if I do this ?

I've done this on a few Dells for our company. Use Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe the hard drive clean. It is free software. Then just install XP. I know for a fact you cant just boot to an XP disk and try to format the drive it won't work. The Boot and Nuke is a VERY handy to tool have laying around. Good luck!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Thanks very much ArizonaGeek ! It sounds like the right tool for me ! Will give it a try ...

ArizonaGeek said:
I know for a fact you can't just boot to an XP disk and try to format the drive it won't work.
I'm curious... why can't you do that? When you boot off the XP CD, can you not delete the existing partition(s) and then create a new one, and continue on with the XP install? Is this something that's specific to reinstalling over Vista?

guitarzan said:
I'm curious... why can't you do that? When you boot off the XP CD, can you not delete the existing partition(s) and then create a new one, and continue on with the XP install? Is this something that's specific to reinstalling over Vista?

I am not sure I think it has to do with the new way Vista installs. I've run into a similar problem with Lindows/Linspire on a PC. XP wouldn't get rid of the partitions nor format anything. Always gave me an error, I use Active@Killdisk instead of Dariks Boot and Nuke but essentially they do the same thing (Darik's is free, I paid for Killdisk quite a few years ago) and every time I can get XP installed.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back