Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I install my legit Acer Win XP Home on a Dell? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

acerpod

Technical User
Aug 31, 2008
TT
I lost my Acer laptop and am now using an old Dell with Win Me. I would like to install my legitimate Win XP Home on my Dell but the official disks that came with my Acer won't install on a non-Acer. I have all my license codes. Is there some way I can still do so?
Thanks.

As you have found out your Acer Disks will probably only work on that particular laptop. I don't believe you will get any help in circumventing that legal roadblock via this Forum. Maybe elsewhere, at a different site, they might have a different policy or ethics, but we are rather limited in our advice in such matters.

You can probably run or get hold of the XP Compatibility Advisor program to make sure that your old ME machine is capable of running XP.

Description of the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor

In the event of your Laptop being returned to you (which I hope it is) or being used by someone else, you will have two machines with the same Product ID.

I wonder whether the OEM or Microsoft can help you in preventing that Product ID being used by another person?
This might be the site that you can follow that thought on and see if they have any suggestions?

To replace a CD or Product Key, you must contact PSS. To locate the appropriate phone number for your product, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

326246 - How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware

How to deal with a lost or stolen laptop

The problem is that the software is licensed for your Acer, not for your Dell. Whilst you have the license codes they don't mean anything (I have W03, W08 and many other codes but it doesn't mean I can use them on other machines).

The only way you can legally install XP onto your Dell pc is to buy a new copy of XP.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

The rule is this: An OEM copy of Windows such as comes with a Dell, Acer, etc (whether XP, Vista, whatever) essentially "dies" with the computer it came with. It cannot be moved to another PC, legally from the EULA standpoint.

Actually, it's based on the motherboard that originally came with the computer UNLESS there is a motherboard failure which requires replacement of the board, in which case it must be replaced with the exact same board unless the manufacturer cannot supply that board. In that case, the nearest equivalent board will be allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back