Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can I insert unix-data into an sql script?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gertvangaever

Technical User
Apr 3, 2002
BE
I have a sql-script.
I would like to put 'df-k' information into tables in the database, so one way or another I have to copy the unix-output of a command to sql-variables!

anyone that can help me?

Tnx!
Gert

You may generate entire sql script from shell script and run it by sql*plus. Another way is to pass the values you need to sql script via lexical variables.

Could you give some more information on how to do this?

Tnx!

Why not tabluate the output of the df command to a text file and then use an SP to load into your appropriate table (effectivly SQL loader). Even better, kick this off from withn Oracle by using External procedures.

N.

I use a simple, but reliable method to do this sort of thing. In your script, do what you need to format the df output ("cut" fields, etc) into a file. I then call sqlldr (sql loader doc. is in utility manual with import/export) to load the formatted file. You will need a .ctl file. This method is good for a process that is repeated on a regular schedule.

from sqlplus I'd
!df -k > /tmp/df-k2sql.lst (or whatever switches)
then use utl_file.get_line to read it & insert/update

from shell you could
df -k | tail +2 | while read FILESYSTEM
do
filesystem=`echo $FILESYSTEM | awk '{print $1}'`
KBblocks=`echo $FILESYSTEM | awk '{print $2}'`
used=`echo $FILESYSTEM | awk '{print $3}'`
available=`echo $FILESYSTEM | awk '{print $4}'`
pctused=`echo $FILESYSTEM | awk '{print $5}' | sed s/%//`
mountpoint=`echo $FILESYSTEM | awk '{print $6}'`
echo "insert into sometable values(\"$filesystem\",$KBblocks,$used,$available,$pctused,\"$mountpoint\");"
done

but that's kind of ugly

simplest & most elegant way would be to use perl & DBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back