Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I insert an application version/revision number? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAnimal

Programmer
May 18, 2002
US
I want to document the creation and version number for later fixes/patches/changes. I want to be able to quickly check the version number and make sure I've got the newest version.

Uder the File menu, there is the "DataBAse Properties" selection, on the statistics tab there is a place for the revision number. This would be nice to use but how? I can not find any information on how to fill this field or the other two fields at the bottom of this tab. Access does not fill it for you.

I usually create a special table for this; called tblVersion, it can contain a Version Date, Version Number, Version Description and perhaps a memo field describing the details of the changes (and so on).

As you point out, there are some system fields you can configure and use for this, but I prefer to retain the version history, and find it easy to do as described above.

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
steve@lewycomputing.com.au
(dont cut corners or you'll go round in circles)

I also keep this information in a separate table (although the memo describing the details is an idea that hadn't occurred to me), and then I display the current version info on a Title Screen and an About Screen. This way, if a customer needs technical support, I can make sure I'm testing with the correct version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back