Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I include pictures in an Outlook signature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm9

Technical User
Dec 31, 2002
GB
Hi there,

In work, we have Exchange 2000 on the server, and Outlook 2000 on each PC. When I create a signature, I like to include a very small GIF file of the company logo in the signature. I've done this fine, but when I send the email to someone outside the company, the logo doesn't appear. I think this is because the logo is linked to the actual file on our server, so how do I change the link so it actually sends itself, rather than the link?

I can insert pictures into emails and they always send fine, it's just when I copy these pictures into the signature picker that I have problems.

Any ideas to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

That is a hard question to answer because the pic can be stripped from your end as well as the recieving end. If sometimes your pic makes it to some recipients and never to another, then you will know your server is not stripping the pic. These are settings that vary, depending on the people administrating them.

A small piece of advice, a pic, no matter how small, adds to everyone of your emails some extra bytes. The reason that your pic may be getting stripped is because of spam and abuse of a simple system that is supposed to send email. Many administrators have started to have them stripped to save room on their servers and to avoid extra traffic on the internet. Many people abuse email systems, turning them into their personal storage space, so some email admins are starting to put their foot down. I personnaly don't stop pictures, but I do have a strict size limit and usage codes of conducts. It's basically to tell users that the email systems are not a file storage area. We have File and Print Servers for that.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Hi RoddLefty, thanks for your reply. I can confirm that this problem is not happening at random, so I can pinpoint what is causing it.

When I insert a picture into an email, I will do it like this: Tools > Insert > Picture. Pictures that I insert in this way are emailed successfully every time, so this isn't my problem.

My problem is that when I have a picture included in the Signature, it is not included in the email itself, but a link to the picture is included instead. Therefore, for internal emails this works fine because the link in the email will grab the file from the server and insert it. But for external emails, as external people don't have access to our server, the link cannot grab the picture from our server, so the picture is shown as a blank picture.

I could workaround this by changing the link so it grabs the picture from the Internet instead, but I would rather have the picture included within the actual email itself, as happens when I manually go to Tools > Insert > Picture.

Maybe I am just not setting up the Signature properly? To set it up, I have wrote out my signature in an email manually, including inserting the picture. I am then copying and pasting this into a blank signature. Any ideas how I can fix this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

Hi sm9

I have the unfortunate task of administrating HTML emails. Im totally against it but it 'looks nice' so it has to be done :)

The way we do this is by setting up a proper HTML file which links to the gif file. Im by no means a web designer but I have HTML file linking to our image, with an indentation so we cant type over the image.

Use relative links in your html, then place the resulting html file and gif file in :

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery
(or the right corresponding path depending on your setup)

Then in outlook

Tools-> options ->mail format and then

send in this message format: HTML

Then in the stationary tab below should now be enabled and you can locate your custom stationary

Ass reddlefty says size and audience is important. I send in plain text, with a signature its 1k, with the bloaty image (all jpegged, web optimised etc) its nearly 10k

Ok it does look ok, and its great internally for formatting etc, but when sending to other people it can be a problem

Anyone who strips HTML at gateway/proxy level or email clients that dont render html wont see the email nicely

I think this is the best way forward for you, might take a tiny bit of time to do but once setup I dont have any problems with this(apart from clients moaning saying they cant read html emails :)

----------------------->

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back