Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I in sql

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxenss

Programmer
Jun 20, 2003
US
I am trying to get text records out of a database the problem I am having is we have limited the text to being 75 char long so there is multiple lines for each comment_ID and I want to group the multiple lines together.
I have thrown my SQL statement in that i have so far
SELECT CitationComment.Comment_ID, EnglishText.EnglishText_ID, CitationComment.Employee_ID, EnglishText.EnglishText_Text
FROM (CommentText INNER JOIN ((Comment INNER JOIN CitationComment ON Comment.Comment_ID = CitationComment.Comment_ID) INNER JOIN CommentLink ON Comment.Comment_ID = CommentLink.Comment_ID) ON CommentText.CommentText_ID = CommentLink.CommentText_ID) INNER JOIN EnglishText ON CommentText.CommentText_ID = EnglishText.CommentText_ID;

so what i am trying to do is get the citationcomment.comment_ID that has multiple records for englishtext.englishtext to combine
did this make anysince

thank you for the help in advance

The OX

Hi,

You don't write which database you use. If you use SQL server you can do it with scalar user function.
Here is an example with 2 tables (tblTest & tblTestChild).
-------------------------------------------------
create function ConcatTestChild(@tblTestID int)
Returns varchar(1024) as
BEGIN
Declare @s varchar(1024)
Set @s=''
select @s=@s + TC.Value from tblTestChild TC WHERE TC.tblTestID=@tblTestID -- this relies on TC.Value never being NULL, if so use COALESCE
Return @s
END
SELECT *,dbo.ConCatTestChild(tblTestID) FROM tblTest

I don't know if other database systems has simlar options. It is not a possiblity with Access. If you use Access, the only solution I can come up with is to do it in the front end.

Sunaj
'The gap between theory and practice is not as wide in theory as it is in practice'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back