Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I identify who owns an IP? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

erinql

Programmer
Oct 19, 2001
US
Hi all TCP/IP experts!

I have built a script for a client that tracks the IP addresses of the visitors via the REMOTE_ADDR global, but I'm having a difficult time finding the right tool or online database to indentify who these IPs belong to.

I've looked at ARIN and GeekTools, and can get some info from a tracert, but is there a way to lookup the owner information of an ip?

Ideally, I'd like to include the lookup info via my script (PHP) but I'll take any lead I can get.

Thanks ahead,
Erin QL

Erin Quick-Laughlin
DBA, PHP/MySQL programmer

Whois is about all you can hope for. You get the registered information for the IP block. For information on the holder of the IP lease at any particular date and time would require a court order to the ISP or block owner.

just to follow up on Bill's comments...

WHOIS will work to an extent; you can also try a reverse DNS lookup. If the IP address has been configured with a PTR record, you can figure out more details than just from an IP range. Some ISPs actually have reverse entries that break customer IP ranges down to geographic areas (like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.chg-il.earthlink.net or something).

is a neat site for this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back