Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I get the directory name only, using GetFileSaveName or GetFileOpenName?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chakester

Programmer
Mar 11, 2017
US
I am working with PowerBuilder 10.5.1 and need to get a user-selected directory path returned to my app via GetFileSaveName or GetFileOpenName.

I already coded the string function to Trim the file name off using:
“as_file=Left(ls_pathfilename, LastPos(ls_pathfilename,'\') -1)”

This works great. It strips off the file name and leaves only the directory path as intended.
However, the problem is that the user needs to select a file in order for the "Open" button to respond and return with the file name and path.

The real problem occurs when the directory contains only sub-sirectories and no actual files to select from.
In this case, the user has to keep drilling in deeper until they find a sub-directory with a file to select.
When the path is returned, there is no way of knowing which parent directory the user intended to select!
Also, if the directories are all empty with no file to select, the process cannot be completed at all.

Does anyone know how I can make this work without resorting to using the PowerBuilder “DirList” function?
Thanks…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back