Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i get the data from the corrupted CD? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

speidel1

Technical User
Jul 9, 2015
DE
Hello,
Im having an issue with a CD that has very important data in it. And now it is corrupted.
Any recommendations?

Explain, corrupted? Is it scratched? or has it been exposed to high heat and is now warped? If it is scratched, as long as the inner material isn't damaged, take it to a game store that has a disc refurbish machine, basically a big polisher and buffing machine that uses rubbing compound to fill and remove scratches. You can try the hand crack ones like the Disc Dr. but cheaper to pay the $5 to let the machine do it. If the inner material or reflective coating is damaged, or the ink has been damaged exposing more of the reflective material, there is nothing that can be done.

Google "Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier".
Maybe you can salvage some stuff with it, it helped me with a bad hdd.
Oh, and it's free.

Some have had immediate success by washing them with water and dishwasher detergent then drying with cloth. YMMV

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

If scratched, I have used car polishing compound and GENTLY rubbing it on with a dry SOFT cloth, let it dry. Then use another dry soft cloth and polishing it GENTLY with concentric circles until all the compound is removed.

Something like: Clear Coat Safe Polishing Compound

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

If it's a physical problem with the disk, one thing that has worked for me many times is rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth. Pour alcohol over the entire disk, make sure it covers everything. Then use the microfiber cloth to wipe it until dry. If there is any dirt/smudges causing the issue, this'll normally take care of it, and it's pretty safe if you are using the typical rubbing alcohol you'd get for use on cuts and such. On many things, I water it down first, but on CDs, I pour it straight on.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Take a photo of the non-data face before you wash it, polish it, or apply any solvent.
CDs produced in small quantities may have markings in easily soluble (inkjet) ink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back