Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I get more than 16 color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jascra

Programmer
Jul 9, 2002
I have an old Dell server which ran NT. I am not that technical, and the hard drive did not work anymore, but when I reformatted it, it did...I did not have any NT software, but bought an old OEM (Never opened) windows 98, figuring that I can just install it on the machine(PIII, 450 MHZ). I was able to install the windows 98 OS on the DELL, but I can not get more than 16 color depth on the machine. It says it has a VGA display, and I really remember having more than 16 colors when I had NT installed. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

THanks

Hi
Win98 has not recognised your vid card. Find out what it is and install its drivers.

Thanks for the advice. How do I find out what my vid card is? Is there something in diagnostics to tell me this. It says the display driver installed is vga.drv, and the display adapter is Standard Video Display(VGA).

Hi
Run Add Hardware first (control Panel > Add Hardware) to see if OS recognises the card, if not, then you need to find out some details about the card.
- If you have any documentation about the pc, it might have the vid card details in it.
- Failing that then you need to open the pc and have a look at the card to identify the manufacturer and the chip model. If there is no label/sticker on the PCB then let us know the name and numbers on the biggest chip on the vid card.
Good luck

Actually its easier than that. ITs a dell computer. Go to Dell.com and then Support and type in the model number off the back of the computer. Choose your operating system and download the display driver.

Hi
As thy say; 2 sets of eyes are better than one.
Well-done Amueller.
Regards

Hi,

To find out your video card type goto Control Panels, System, then click on Device Manager, click on Display Adaptors and it will tell you the card. A card from Dell is most likely to be ATI.

If you are a customer of them then will be the URL to go to. Enter in the service tag number and the system then goto drivers and download an update. If you can't find the one you need call 1-800-847-4096 to get tech support to give it to you.

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

Thanks for all of your help....I have an ATI Rage Pro IIc...which according to the Dell website, is only supported by NT, not by 98...so I can't get a driver for it.....but thanks anyway

Thank you so much for all of your help!! I was able to download a driver from ATI, and now I have 256 colors!
Now if you can be as sucessful in helping me in helping me with my other problem...it is in the subject CANNOT UPGRADE 95 to 98...I really messed up there.

Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back