Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I execute a macro while I'm out of the office ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbrink

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2000
US
Our office receives downloaded text data during the evening. I have figured out how to import with a macro that performs a fixed length text transfer using a specific import specification. What I would like to do now, is to automate that to run after hours and have tried using the DOS Batch Command but keep getting Windows execution errors from MS Access 97. The command string is puzzling me. Really appreciate any help someone could provide. Thanks in advance! LBrink.

[sig][/sig]

Hi lbrink,

An idea might be to leave access do this every so often by having a form with a timer event running. have your code check for new data every so often (like 30min intervals). the code could check for new updates and if there are any do the processing as required.

also what is the command string your using??

HTH
Robert

[sig][/sig]

Robertd,
I had not thought about a timed form, I guess I'll try that thanks. The command string I was trying to execute is below:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe"
"C:\My Documents\Access Databases\Test Data.mdb"
/cmd /x Import.macro
I was hoping to use the NT Server "AT" command to define the execution time associated with a DOS Batch Command, but maybe next time. Thanks for your ideas,
LBrink

[sig][/sig]

If you create the code in your Access DB's autoexec macro to upload your data and then close the database, you should be able to use the AT command. I haven't tried running an Access database, but have used the AT command to &quot;schedule&quot; stuff. Let me know if you still need any help with this... [sig]<p>Terry M. Hoey<br><a href=mailto:th3856@txmail.sbc.com>th3856@txmail.sbc.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Ever notice that by the time that you realize that you ran a truncate script on the wrong instance, it is too late to stop it?[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back