Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I disable shutdown on a SCO 3.2v5.0.7 UNIX server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartersean

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2012
US
I have a SCO server that has begun to shut itself down every weekday at around noon, then ~12:13, then ~12:27...
The server will do a clean shutdown and goes to the screen: "IT IS NOW SAFE TO REBOOT OR TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER"

I was thinking of disabling the shutdown command to make sure it's not a hardware issue. Does anyone know how to disable shutdown or maybe what the actual problem is w/ this server? I've attached the syslog or you can view it on google docs here:
thanks

check the root cron files, via crontab -e.

See if there's anything scheduled to run around the times the reboot has been occurring. Then vi the scripts involved - maybe one of them is initiating the shutdown after an error or a completed task.

Also check the system time - perhaps the time was set wrong and cron thinks it's after midnight and is running things that reboot afterward.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support

One way to prevent the shutdown would be to hack the /etc/inittab so that it takes no action (or takes a different action of your choice) when the system goes to runlevel 0, 5 or 6.

Unfortunately I no longer have access to a SCO system so can't advise you exactly or try it out myself.

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back