Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Can I Disable Second Call Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

atzcs

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
US
I have a client with a Norstar 8x24 DR5. They spend a lot of time on the phone. When on speaker phone, the second call (Transferred or inbound) rings and causes the conversation to disrupted. IS there a way to disable that second ring when already on the line?

under programming Terminals & Sets --> EXTN DN --> Capabilities --> DND on busy: set this to yes

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

How is DND on busy and Forward on busy any different?

Perhaps the better question is what happens when it is DND? Clearly the Forward on busy will forward the call to VM or another xtn as dictated by your instructions.

Eric Bertrand
SciTegic, Inc.

I was about to ask the same question on the DND. ...we have one line that goes right to the AA. If someone prompts zero, it rings on all extensions via an answer DN. If the extension in question does a DND on busy, will that affect the calls that ring on all phones? Right now, the extensions are set to forward to VM after 6 rings, and no forward when Busy. Just curious to know if the DND would cause calls to dump into the VM of anyone who is on the phone.

IF YOU SET IT TO BUSY BOTH HAVE TO BE BUSY IF YOU SET IT TO DND YOU ONLY HAVE TO BE ON ONE OF THEM BEFORE IT GOES VML

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

Unfortunately, he said 8x24 DR-5, so don't have the option of DND on Busy, but could still FORWARD ON BUSY. Also if you have more than 1 intercom key, try removing all but 1.
Seemed like that used to help on 8x24.

MarvO said it

ill second marve on that, the 8x24 has quite loose options that's in my opinion the best way around it.
FWD BUSY> V/M PORT

I can not do a forward on busy to VM as 4 incoming lines ring on all phones. If one person is busy, that incoming line will then go right into their VM instead of ringing on all phones.

Now I see what you are saying. I don't know of a way around it if the 4 lines are all ringing on all sets. With the 8X24, before all the newer bells and whistles,we used to be able to get quite creative and do just about anything with phantom DNs, Answer DNs etc. I don't have an 8X24 to play with anymore, but with all of the talent on this forum, someone will figure it out. I don't remember if an Answer DN will ring if you are already on a call. If not, that could be a cute work around.

MarvO said it

Did you try the intercom key? If you go under lines its somewhere in there....make sure you only have one. But otherwise im the same as Marvo, i got rid of my 8x24 a while back.
Good luck

You could turn on DND feature 85 then no incoming calls will ring on the set at all. Program a DND key to turn it on and off.

Try removing all the lines and make them ring only at the sets and give only one intercom key to each set. You will need to train on the park and page system.

spoclogo2.jpg

Curly, I didn't think you could do a RING ONLY on 8x24.

MarvO said it

Actually MarvO asked it

MarvO,
Yes, on the 8X24 just turn off the ringing under the "ringing" portion of Line assignment.

JerryReeve
com-sys.com

Jerry, what I thought he said was remove the lines by having the RING ONLY, which actually comes in on the intercom. I'm not aware of that option in 8X24, except DRT. I keep going back to atzcs original post to verify that he said 8X24.

MarvO said it

OK I got to learn to actually read the posts. My mistake and sincerest apologies.

JerryReeve
com-sys.com

No apology needed. The only people who do not make mistakes are those who do nothing. Your posts are always good. Now we need to hear from Atzcs to see if any of this hashing has done any good for him. Fun stuff.

MarvO said it

I'll let you know which options help me when I get back to the client site on Friday. I can tell you this...I will not be allowed to remove any of the 4 lines from the phones. These people love being able to see how many lines are in use. So I will try the options above and let you know what works for me!

Thanks for all of the posts. Everyone on this board is extremely helpful! I have another 8x24 that is possessed by demons if you want to hear about that!

Yes, tell us about the possessed by demons system. Sounds like fun. Maybe start a new thread for it since this one is getting long.

MarvO said it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back