Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I disable a intallation program when start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai123

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
CA
After Norton Antivirus 2002 installed, computer reboot, win 98 workstation pop up a program and asking for installation. Then I went to control panel --> add and remove program, I can't see the program in there. I went to accessories ->systemtool-->no system information insatll(shows up).

How can I install system information in Win98 WS and how can I can I disable this pop up sceen when last time startup.. help..

kai123,
try going to start/run and typing in MSCONFIG.
then click on the Startup tab. This shows all the background programs that start up. Uncheck the one that keeps popping up when you start your computer. Click oK, then restart. That should take care of the problem.

TracyW

kai123,

backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Delete any entries other than (Default) from the above keys.

Also, delete the c:\windows\wininit.ini file and delete all files and folder from the c:\windows\temp directory.

Then shutdown and restart.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back