Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I deploy an exclude list on several MS clients?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredje

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
BE
Hi,

I'm using NB 5.1 since a few days, sorry for my inexperience.

I've seen in some guides the only way to exclude on windows client is to set the exclude list in the admin console and I got +/- 300 clients...

Is there a way to push an exclude list file on the client like (as exemple) in Unix?

Thanks a lot!

If you have a UNIX master then there is an unsupported command for viewing the exclude list (but not changing)

DOCUMENTATION: How to display the exclude lists of a Windows Client from a UNIX master server using the command line

Details:
Manual: VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 5.0 Commands for UNIX

Page: 97-99

Modification Type: Undocumented Usage
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpgetconfig -M [client name] "Exclude"

The output will look like the following:

Exclude = C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\*.lock
Exclude = C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\another_dir\*.lock
Exclude = CLASS:mypc
Exclude = SCHED:1stfull
Exclude = C:\123\some_other_dir

In the above example, the first two excludes apply to all policies for this client. The next set of excludes applies only to the schedule called 1stfull of the policy called mypc.

Note: The -M parameter is intended to specify the master server name only. However, tests against 4.5 and 5.0 software demonstrated information can be retrieved from the client when the client name is specified with the -M option. Because this type of usage is unintentional, though beneficial, it may stop working at anytime. VERITAS will not be obligated to bring this functionality back.

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and thats the truth

reg add \\%I\HKLM\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup
\CurrentVersion\Config /v Exclude /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntmsdata\*\0C:\_vxfiVspCacheFile_0.tmp\0

Separator between folders = \0
Variable %I = computername

Example of how to get the computernames from AD and
push the excludelist to each computer

set FILTER="(&(objectCategory=Computer)(objectClass=Computer)(operatingSystem=Windows Server 2003))"
set DN="dc=oga,dc=amsterdam,dc=local"
for /f "skip=1 tokens=1" %%I in ('dsquery * %DN% -scope subtree -filter %FILTER% -attr cn') do call :EXCLUDELIST %%I

:EXCLUDELIST
reg add \\%1\HKLM\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config /v Exclude /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntmsdata\*\0C:\_vxfiVspCacheFile_0.tmp\0C:\_vxfiVspCacheFile_1.tmp\0C:\_vxfiVspCacheFile_2.tmp
GOTO :EOF

Would someone please test/verify grootnet's post?

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and thats the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back