Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I Delete an item if older than x amount of days 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjstark

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
US
Does anyone know how do do a delete using CF/SQL that will delete items if they are older than a certain amount of days?

I am writing an classifieds application and I want it to delete any ads that are older than 30 days. When the ad is posted it inserts the current date into the database in the following format mm/dd/yyy. When a user queries the ads I want a delete statement to run first that will look at the ads and then delete the ones that are older than 30 days. However I am not sure how to write the where statement in the query. Can anyone help me with this?

the following query will select all fields that are older then today's date minus 30 days; make sure that Data Type of the date field in the data base is Date/Time;

<CFQUERY NAME=&quot;queryName&quot; DATASOURCE=&quot;dbn&quot;>
SELECT *
FROM tableName
WHERE dateField < #Now()# - 30
</CFQUERY> Sylvano
dsylvano@hotmail.com

Thanks, I changed it to a delete statement and it works great. I appreciate the help.

it's better to use stored procedures. Use CFQuery to call your delete procedure. You don't have to pass in CF Time if you don't want, just use:

delete from tablename where dateField < getdate()-2

the -2 is for days(the default SQL setting).

I use this:

DELETE FROM news WHERE date < #DateAdd('D', -30, createODBCdate(Now()))#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back