Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I decode any foxpro exe or app files 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2018
BD
thread184-255979 I have a foxpro program exe file but I have no it's source code. Now I want to decode it. How is it possible. Can anyone suggest me? I found a seller in fiverr but its paid. I want to free decode soft.

So in other words, you want free help with stealing the source code?

So in other words, you want free help with stealing the source code?

Don't jump to conclusions. There are perfectly legitimate reasons for wanting to get at an EXE's source code. Personally, I will reserve judgement until I know the facts.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

People should present the facts first!

If someone bears a mask or use a clearly false name, they must expect to be suspected. At least that's my opinion. And I know that I will soon be banned since I use my right to write what I mean. The censorship used here is why I almost never provide any help on this forum.

programming and coding,

what's the name of the .exe ? Are you sure the people asking you to decode it own the software?

If you right click on the .exe file and look at its properties is there any copyright info in the details tab?

nigel

programmingandcoding said:
How can I decode ANY foxpro exe or app files

Some good points have been raised above.
1) You cannot LEGALLY decompile code that you do not LEGALLY OWN.
Not just own Run-Time Rights, but own Source-code Rights.​
2) Your initial thread subject indicates "ANY" foxpro application.
That causes us to question how you intend to use the decompiler.​
3) Lastly you want to find a FREE decompiler. Good Luck with that.
The most reliable one that most of us use (ReFox) is NOT FREE.​

Remember that if this task is BUSINESS CRITICAL then you should not hesitate to spend the money to either purchase the decompiler or to hire a VFP Consultant to work with you.

NOTE: If you do get a decompiler to use, the results may still be somewhat confusing to someone not familiar with the Foxpro/Visual Foxpro languages. That fact alone usually justifies your hiring a VFP Consultant to work with you so that you can get the results you need instead of just a lot of code that is not understood.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

JRB said:
You cannot LEGALLY decompile code that you do not LEGALLY OWN.

That might be the case in some jurisdictions (such as the USA?), but it is by no means universal. In Europe, not only is it not illegal to decompile in certain cases, but you have an explicit right to do. In particular, you have the right to decompile (or other forms of reverse engineering) in order to promote "interoperability". For example, if you want to develop an add-on to a commercial software product, you can reverse engineer that product to the extent necessary to understand its data structures. This right cannot be overriden by a so-called licence agreement. (Reference: EU Directive 2009/24.)

Of course, we don't know that that applies in the case under discussion. It would be really helpful if the original questioner could let us know exactly what he wants to decompile and why.

And, JRB, of course you make a valid point: just because you can decompile doesn't mean you will understand the decompiled code.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Hi Mike,
That's an awesome observation actually. Really good to know.

Best Regards,
Scott
MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back