Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Can I create a bootable CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briem

Technical User
Mar 25, 2001
PG
Could someone tell me how I can create a bootable CD for Mcafee that will run a virus scan.

I have created a bootable floppy but would like also to create a bootable CD.

If your bios is set up to boot from CD's. Have you tried booting with the Mcafee setup CD in the computer. You might find that it works as a emergency virus scan boot disk. I haven't tried it myself yet but I'm sure I read about somewhere.

Thanks I shall give it a go, after I posted this I created a Emergency disk (floppy) from Virus scan and then burnt it onto a read/write CD, it seems to work.

But I will try your suggestion to as it may be more conveniant. The only problem I see with it is that the setup disk would not have the latest virus definition files.

Briem

After posting I tried it to see if I could get it to work with the setup CD. Alas I didn't succeed. (maybe because I have NFTS and DOS doesn't like it). For info I have included something from NAV Virus Scan. "Insert NAV2002 CD in your CD-ROM drive, exit the program, Shut off computer, and turn off power for at least one minute. When you restart, enter your BIOS setup, and change your BIOS to check CD-ROM first on boot up. Save changes, reboot. Your NAV2002 CD will now act as an emergency boot disk. Follow simple directions to run a full scan in DOS. It can scan all your files , and ( repair/ remove /ignore) the infected files in DOS (even those normally in use by Windows).
Take note of removed files as you may need to extract them from your Windows CD or possibly reinstall Windows if lots of files are too damaged to repair. If explorer.exe is unrepairable and removed, you will need to extract a good copy of it in DOS mode from your Windows CD, or Windows won't run. I am not a Windows expert or power user, so please get a second opinion before you take my advice." Sorry if I gave you a wrong direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back