Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I copy mailboxes after reinstalling the system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chantale

Vendor
Jul 8, 2004
CA
I am having quite a problem getting my old mailboxes copied to my current Eudora.

I would like to know how to reintegrate - in the very correct way - old/former Eudora folders to the new Qualcomm/Eudora installation? Is it possible to get attachments linked right away? I am working with Eudora 5, free version.

What happened?
After some technical problems I have reinstalled the whole system again. I re-installed Eudora as well. Now I would like to access all my former mails within Eudora, and not only within the Explorer. How can I reintegrate them into the mail client? Do attachments get linked right away?

What did I do?
I copied the former Eudora folder (saved on a CD) by overwriting the Programmes/QUalcomm/Eudora folder. I suppose that this is the right way to do it, isn't it?
But now unfortunately I cannot open Eudora at all! Not even after a restart! I am willing to reinstall it - okay no big deal - but how do I have to process to integrate the saved messages including attachments?
I appreciate your help!

Your attachments are saved by default in the Eudora\Attachments folder, unless you have specified otherwise. As long as they are in the same folder as previously the links will be ok. The files you want for the mailboxes are the *.mbx and *.toc files, the .tocs are not absolutely neccessary as Eudora will recreate them if needed.

Simply copy the old files from the backup into the new Eudora folder and all should be well. You should do this before you use the new installation as the old mailbox files will overwrite the new and any messages saved by the new installation will be lost

You should not have copied the whole folder as it contains executables etc. Reinstall Eudora and copy the .mbx and .toc files only. There is also a file called rcpdbase.txt, this is your recipient list and you will find directories for Statioery and Signatures. These can be copied also if required. I do not use the Eudora Address Book so can't help you there but I know it can be copied across also All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back