Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I connect two Netware 5.0 LANs through cable modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristian

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2000
RO
I'm trying to connect two NetWare 5.0 LANs through LANCity cable modems. I need to know where to start from. Few basic steps would be of great help, too.<br>Thank you.

I would start with a Border Manager server on each side. You could set up a VPN between your networks over the Internet by tunneling IPX on the Border servers without having to touch your production servers.

You may complicate the equation by adding BorderManager and VPN if all you want is interconnectivity of two 5.0 LANs.&nbsp;&nbsp;Are you eventually looking at merging the two trees together?&nbsp;&nbsp;Are you running IPX/IP or pure IP?&nbsp;&nbsp;With the additional details, I could possibly assist you with an optimal solution.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

The task I have to perform was stated to me as: &quot;We (the local LAN) must see the file systems on their (the remote LAN) NetWare server and workstations.&quot; I'm not trying to merge the two trees. Both LANs are running IPX/IP and NetBEUI (there is a NT 4.0 server too in &quot;our&quot; LAN).<br>I cannot use BorderManager, as long as it is not free software (am I wrong?). We have here an additional NetWare license that allow me (if necessary) to set up another server and experiment the connection.<br>Thank you for your support in this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back