Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I connect from my work machine to my parents desk top 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlotteL

IS-IT--Management
Apr 13, 2005
GB
I want to be able to connect from my machine at work to my parents computer as they are always asking for help and it would be quicker for me to go and do things directly on their desk top through remote access.

I was looking at using remote desktop connection as we both have xp machines.

Can I do this as he is in a different domain to me?

Thanks

Yes, all you need to do is enable the Remote Desktop checkbox on their machine (Start - Settings - Control Panel - System - Remote Tab), then connect to their IP using Remote Desktop connection.

If your parents are using a router, you will have to forward port 3389 to the internal IP of their computer.

You may need to put a user name and password on your parents PC,,,(most home users dont have it set up),,,remote works best if you have to login

Thanks very much for the replies, how do I forward port 3389 to the internal IP?

Thanks

Charlotte

I have tried doing this, I have put in the IP address for the computer, then given the username which is the user set up on my dads machine with his password, but I am unable to connect - mybe this is to do with the port forwarding - any more suggestions?

Thanks very much

Charlotte

Are your parents using Windows XP Home or Pro? Home does not include remote desktop.

They are using windows XP Pro

Thanks

Charlotte

Are you sure you forwarded port 3389? What make/model router are your parents using? Can you telnet to port 3389 on their public IP successfully?

Hi No I know I didn't do the port forward, I don't know how to do it! CAn you tell me how?

Thanks

Charlotte

How do I find out information about their router, how do I telnet to port 3389 on their public IP?

Sorry to be thick!

1. Ask your parents what router they are using (DLink, Netgear, Linksys etc). They should still have the instructions which should show you how to forward port 3389 to their computer.

2. To confirm connectivity using telnet, open a command prompt, then type:

telnet <public IP> 3389

Where <public IP> is their actual public IP. If the screen goes black, then you've successfully connected, and should be able to use remote desktop.

I know my parents would have no idea - would the guy who installed broadband for them know?

Anything's possible.

If they would have no idea, then you will most likely have to pay them a visit to forward port 3389, and also ensure they are using a static IP on their computer (ensure its not set to use DHCP to pull an IP from the router).

I'm happy to pay them a visit and do the forward port, but I still don't know how to do it!

Sorry if i'm being really dumb here.

Thanks!

Have a look at their router manual when you get there, and it will tell you how to forward ports.

HI,

They're not using a router, the phone line is plugged straight into the socket.

Thanks

Charlotte

To help clarify a little. It sounds like your parents are using an ADSL connection or similar?

You need to connect as follows:

[Parents PC] <------> ( INTERNET ) <------> [Your PC]

Easiest thing to check 1st is that you are able to connect to someone else. Ask a friend to help you test locally - I.e. someone who lives near you, that way you can confirm that it isn't a problem at your end. It may be that you have a router locally blocking the traffic.

Once you have ensured that you are able to connect ok over the port listed then ensure that both sides are connected to the net ok.

Then once you are happy that all is in order - Check that you can connect over telnet as described above. Step by step details here:

1) Check parents IP - If unsure how to find public IP there are plenty of sites:
to name a couple, which will show their IP - Get them to take a note of it.
OR
if they are confident enough they can use a program called ipconfig (Start - run - type cmd & press enter - type ipconfig & press enter - read the line titled IP ADDRESS)

2) Once you know their IP - on your own pc do the following:

Click on START - RUN - Type: cmd & press enter - Type: telnet parentsIP 3389
Example: telnet 127.0.0.1 3389

A black screen shows a connection is made & is a good sign. if not then post back here to let us know how you got on.

Good Luck

I get the message could not open connection to the host, on port 23: connection failed.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back