Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can i configure that old cisco router 2600

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaz

Programmer
Jun 20, 2000
US

hi

I am a newbie. I posted that question in another forum but obviously that is the best one.

I merely know how to set an ip address/subnet mask/dns info in tcp/ip properties of my nic properties.

we got temporary internet through dsl + access point netgear me102 + laptops; everything works fine.

but now we need to forget about the dsl line cause we got a t1 line (split voice data). I can get out plugging myself into a netgear switch and setting my nic with one of the ip address and subnet mask that t1 provider gave me.

the problem is they gave us a subnet mask that is not 255.255.255.0, which is the subnet mask of the access point THAT I CAN'T CHANGE. so access point must receive ip by dhcp.

we do have a Cisco router 2600.

how can I set ip address and subnet mask on that Cisco router 2500? and set it to dhcp?

can I do it all through HyperTerminal?
with what kind of cables? can I use some kind of software based configurator for dummies?

thank you for any tip or any link to an "howtostepbystep" page.

yaz

can i console into it with regular cat 5 or crossover cable?

between the console port of the router and my nic?

if yes, what settings for my nic? ip/subnet?

thank you

yaz

No, from the console port, you will need a rollover cable. The pairs will be exact opposites. Pin1 to pin8. pin2 to pin7, etc. And you will need an adapter to connect to your serial port. From there you can open up a terminal emulator, such as HyperTerminal. Or you should be able to send your configs with ConfigMaker...
Check this and see if it helps...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

the $2.50 cable i just bought is light blue (same turquoise like color than the console port label background) with the following inscriptions on it:

E141823 24AWG CM VERIFIED (UL) CATEGORY 5 CSA CM 24 AWG LL97744 FT4

'com1' female on one end and cat 5 like on the other.

is that rollover?

within configmaker, it does not detect anything.

also within configmaker, i have 2610 and above options but no 2600.

any tip?

never mind it's a 2620...

anyway.

the tag says an ip address. but that is old and reused elsewhere now.

if that ip on the (home...) label is true, should i be able to just enter it over the network (netgear FS516 16 ports switch) with 2 regular cat 5 cables -> one to my nic and another to the 'yellow' 10/100 ethernet port of the device?

thanks,

yazel

That would be your best bet. Try and ping the address listed. Make sure whatever machine has that address now is not on the network at the time. If you can ping it, open a Hyperterminal connection and choose TCP/IP Winsock, that'll get you in. If you are unable to connect thru config maker, set up the config, look at the IOS commands and copy and paste them into Hyperterminal...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back