Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I configure a Cisco 2501 Router for "Home ADSL"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren77uk

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2001
CA
I am getting a static IP address, and want to configure my 2501 Cisco router, have no previous experiance, so I am a complete novice.

Could someone please guide me through on how to configure it if possible!?

I was told I need two by someone, is there any way around this?! One AUX port, One AUI, 2 Serial Ports and a Console port.

Help!??!

Cheers.
Darren

You only have 1 Ether port and you need 2 to make it work - 1 for your home network (LAN) and one for your Internet connection (WAN).

Right, so what is best, I have a Alcatel ADSL MODEM, but has a USB connection, is there anyway I can utilise my 2501 router?!

You need two routers due to the ethernet inface situation previously mentioned...

The 2501 only provides you with one ethernet interface, period.

Unless you're up to a fancy configuration involving the 'AUX' port, you will need another router and a cable.

With only one cisco 2501 router, you can use your 'AUX' port as an additional interface for passing traffic.
Though you may get this setup to work, it is not recommended because the throughput on the 'AUX' port is too low.

It's a rather unconventional setup but it's possible.

And it beats a blank? Well, perhaps...

What type of cable do you need to connect the two routers?

It depends on the type of other equipment you have.

Most likely you'll be connecting the second router with a db60 to db60 WAN simulator cable.

have an appropriate amount of fun...

if you have an extra computer around you could use it as a host for the modem and then run it through a switch, from the switch to the router ehter interface then back to the switch,alot of configuration for this router to work.
you need to sub-interface the ethernet on the router and make the host one ip address and the other lan a different ip address using "nat" on the router interface.
alot of work as i said, and that isn't all you need to do.
try the cisco web sit at look at the tech support papers on the 2501.

a better choice is an 800 series router for adsl.
it does everything youy need to do,ipsec, firewall,nat,pat.

have fun as they say

I am currently faced with a similar dilemma, having two 1602s (which have one Ethernet and one serial56K) that I was attempting to setup in same fashion. I have gone through SO much research, contacted Cisco directly at least 7 times, and still am unsure if it will actually work. I am now resigned to buying an additional router [thinking about an 806, but any internet gateway (say, Netgear)should do] to be the interface point for both 1602s. It really is the only financially viable way to go.

I have researched and found the following to be true: you must have another router (any Cisco unit from 1600 series upward with a standard - using same port type - serial interface will do) and either what is called a "lab cable" or the following two cables interconnected --- CAB-V35MT, and CAB-V35FC. Good Luck!

p.s. I resolved my question with the back-to-back 56K serial porting, finding that I was right and Cisco confused!

'I have researched and found the following to be true: you must have another router (any Cisco unit from 1600 series upward with a standard - using same port type - serial interface will do) and either what is called a "lab cable" or the following two cables interconnected --- CAB-V35MT, and CAB-V35FC. Good Luck! p.s. I resolved my question with the back-to-back 56K serial porting, finding that I was right and Cisco confused!', 'I have researched and found the following to be true: you must have another router (any Cisco unit from 1600 series upward with a standard - using same port type - serial interface will do) and either what is called a "lab cable" or the following two cables interconnected --- CAB-V35MT, and CAB-V35FC. Good Luck!

p.s. I resolved my question with the back-to-back 56K serial porting, finding that I was right and Cisco confused!'

Thanks for all your input, I feel a little clearer on what I can do. I dont have a second router as of yet, so I have no other alternative to use the USB modem for the time being or... just use Linux Smoothwall Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back