Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I check for group membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss702sh

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2001
US
I would like to check for group memberships of an NT 4.0 domain via vbscript. We are putting Win2k servers in production, but have not installed Active Directory yet. I am migrating my Novell login scripts to Windows login scripts and need to check various group memberships in the decision branching of my login scripts. I find many resources that show how to do this in VBscript via ADSI, but again, there is no Active Directory in my environment at this time. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mate,

Unfortunately i cant provide you with any help but maybe you could help me a little.

I'm in the processing of building logon scripts like you. Except that we do have AD so i can take advantate of ADSI. I'm only just beginning my search for help on & teaching myself vbscript & would be very appreciative for any web sites & or references you have come across that might help me with my quest.

Cheers
Nick.Harrison@aventis.com

Nick, I would suggest the site They have a ton of stuff for scripting as well as other stuff. And no I don't work for them or get kickbacks. I learned about the site from a SANS security guy. The site rocks. BTW, I have since learned how to query WinNT. It all starts with getting a domain object using the WinNT provider:

Set oDomain = GetObject("WinNT://" & strDomain)

from here its all easy to get what one wants, but finding the properties and methods of all the objects has been my biggest difficulty.

Head over to Microsoft and download the ADSI SDK - it includes several examples, as well as the help file describing all the PEMs.

For checking group membership w/o using ADSI, I'd recommend you explore the NT Resource kits - I'm pretty sure there's a command-line utility there to do so. Jon Hawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back