Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I chase a device through the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wansolutions

Technical User
May 11, 2005
AU
Can anyone tell me how to chase a device, from it's IP address, through a 3Com network?

If I were administering a Cisco network I would:
1) Go to the core or another router/layer 3 switch and ping the targets IP address,
2) Then I would check the ARP table against that IP address to discover the device's MAC address.
3) Once the MAC address is known (with cisco devices) you can then check the mac-address table against the MAC and see which interface the MAC was learnt from.
4) A quick show cdp neighbor detail on that interface and you can then telnet to the next switch in the path and repeat the process from step 3.

Can anyone provide the 3Com equivalent of this process?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Kirby.

On the default gateway/router, get logged in and type: show -ip address

This give you the arp table...which of course you will find the MAC with.

Now...not certain if all 3Com switches are the same, but you will log in to the 3Com switch and then drill down in the menu...bridge > port > address and from here you can either do a list or a find, typing in the MAC using dashes between pairs.

If you see it detected on the uplink port, you will need to go to the respective uplink switch and drill down from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back