Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I change the NIU EIC ? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

neryga

Programmer
Aug 23, 2002
IL
The NIU version is R3A, this version doesn't let change this code using the NIUX commands (writeic).

Somebody can Help me?
neryga@tutopia.com
neryga@yahoo.com

The revision R3A is the board revion (I think) what is the firmware revision oft the NIU board??

To get this use the cnbip command in the MD110. (see example).

<cnbip:bpos=1-0-60;

DEVICE BOARD REVISION INFORMATION
DATE: 25AUG02 TIME: 23:33:24

BPOS BOARD/BRDID PRODUCT NUMBER REVISION STATUS ADD
/IND

001-0-60 NIU ROF1375396/1 R2A
CAA 1580001 R12A EXE
CAA 1580001 R9A OLD

END
<

if the license is written before in the NIU the you will not be able to rewrite. The EIC will only can write one time.

You can refer to the 1 of the tread there, limbabwe is telling people how to erase the eic and write again. It is tested can be done.

It's not possible to overwrite the existing EIC code in a NIU but it's possible to erase the programmed EIC code in the NIU and set a new one afterwards.

To erase the programmed EIC code in the NIU board you have to downgrade the firmware to revision R6A.

In the next steps and example I'll show you how to erase the programmed code in the NIU.

As said before it only works in the firmware R6A. This is because we need to use the &quot;invalideic&quot; command that's not there in newer firmware. It could be there by mistake but as it is usefull to clean the EIC code and reset it to ff-ffff.

Because its only there in the firmware R6A you first have to downgrade the NIU board. After the cleaning you are able tu upgrade the fimware to the latest revision again.

The example below show how it works in firmware R6A:

A NIU with EIC code 13-0671 is cleaned (to ff-ffff) and after that programmed with 13-0000.

username ? > MDUSER
password ? >
niux > readeic i
eic account
eic ipa (hex)= 0671
eic as (hex) = 13
niux > help

exceptioninfo: Get Exception information

invalideic: invalid eic information
writeeic: write eic information
readeic: read eic information
eicpinfo: address for eic program
nifrev: display NIF revision
readrof: read the board hardware information
continue? <y>

niux > invalideic 1
niux > readeic i
eic account
eic ipa (hex)= ffff
eic as (hex) = ff
niux > writeeic 0000 13
eic ipa (hex)= 0000
eic as (hex) = 13

Confirm changes? (y)es or (n)o <no> y
niux > readeic i
eic account
eic ipa (hex)= 0000
eic as (hex) = 13
niux >

It could be another fault as well, as revision R10A of the firmware for the NIU board.

niux > readeic i
eic account
eic ipa (hex)= ffff
eic as (hex) = ff
niux > writeeic ?
writeeic: Command not found. <--------
niux > nifrev NIF rev. R10A
NIF revision = R10A not possible to
niux > quit write eic code

In answer form Ericsson:

To be able to use and see niux command writeeic you have to make 'h niuxx' first. This problem will be solved in the next revision of NIU R11A.

Make following at the niux prompt:

niux > h niuxx

Note: You must use two &quot;x&quot; charachters. After this it's possible to use the writeeic command.

This is adressed to mduser.
The information you have provided on this site how to work around Ericsson identification code suprises me a lot.
I can only hope that you don't work for an Ericsson Company.

/mdsup

Perhaps mduser is showing the same degree of loyalty to Ericsson that Ericsson has for it's employees.

Boys,

IMHO, it would be really better to stop this descussion.

People around this forum are not a kind of technical spy’s.

99.9% of them look for information here because of really bad, unreliable and fantastically expensive technical support from local Ericsson/Damovo companies.

It’s not possible to stop information spread. Doesn't matter - this forum or another one.

And the last.

MDsup. What criminal have you seen in mduser post?
This is ABSOLUTELLY open and easy accessible information.
Just spent some more time and you will find much more in E///'s documentation.
If, of cause, you know what to look after.

Regards

To MDsup,

Fisrt of all I don't work (or worked) at Ericsson. I'me not even working in the MD110 environment anymore but in the AVAYA (sorry). But working with MD110 BC10 gave me a must to look into this matter.

At preparing systemdumps we used a number of 1 magazines LIM's with only the processor in it and 1 link groupswitch connection. It was not possible to get an LIM simulator. For preparing the system dumps you have to start up the system and therefore need a NIU. (Or IPU). We couldn't use the NIU at the customer site as the system where already running. Therefor we use NIU's out of spare.

In the beginning we send these NIU's to ericsson Swap repair to erase the NIU code, but this costed ~1700 SEK each time. As it were service updates (loading a lot of CNI's) we could not charge it to our customers so the pain was for my compagnie. Therfor I looked in to this and it was just in the same command list as the 'writeeic' command. That it was deleted after revision R6A of the NIU is not my problem. The ~1700 SEK was.

Do you think it is classified to know? You still need a license file, and i looked on the internet and it is nearly no problem to get an fully open license file there.

With this I close this thread.

MDUSER

Now what all of you think E/// is doing now? Are they planning to capture mduser and send him to Cuba and charge him as cyber terrorist or the designer is now thinking to create a patch that will not allow you to down grade NIU board(this is easy to design for sure)? I think the second is much cheaper to do...

//patcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back