Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I change the email address domain in 5.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skhoury

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2003
US
Hello everyone,

Any help on this subject would be much appreciated. Here is my issue:

My company wants to change its domain name.
Currently it is blahblah@company.com, and wants to become
blahblah@newcompany.com .

Is there anyway to make this transition smooth and painless, without blowing away mailboxs etc?

Here is what I have tried so far:

I set up a test account (newtest@company.com), then I went into the properties for this email box and selected <email address> tab. Then, I double clicked the <smtp> section and changed the email address from &quot;newtest@company.com&quot; to
&quot;newtest@newcompany.com&quot;.

This actually worked for the following test cases:
Internal loopback message
internal account email to new address
and external email from new account

However it fails if I send externaly (say hotmail, or yahoo) to newtest@newcompany.com.

Any thoughts on how to go about resolving this? Many thanks in advance!

--Salim

This sounds like a ISP issue. Confirm with your ISP that the MX records are pointed to the proper IP

Jason

Rich Cook -- &quot;Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.&quot;

Hey Jason, thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention one thing, that will probably make or break it. Since this is all still in the testing stages, we have not actually purchased the new domain yet. (i know i must sound dumb)...

so are you telling me that once we own the new domain and I point the mx record for the new domain to teh server, everything should be normal again? Thanks for your time!

--Salim

You definitely will not be able to test, until you establish your new domain, and point the mx records to your exchange server.
Besides adding the email address, you need to add the new domain to your internet mail connection.
In the properties for internet mail, go to routing, and add the new domain, set for inbound, and the server will begin accepting email from the new domain, once you register it, configure dns, and it propogates.

Good luck.

Lloyd Cutler
Executive Network Services
lloyd@execnets.com
818-904-9900

All,

Thank you so much for your replies, I believe you have all set me in the right direction. I will post results in the coming days. *Hopefully no problems!!* Thanks again guys...

--Salim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back