Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i browse a windows 2000 pc shared folder from a 95 machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mviltan2

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
GB
I've made a worgroup and it has a 2000 pc on it. On the 2000 pc i've created a shared folder and have given full shared permissions and full security permissions to everyone. But when i try and double click on the 2000 pc from a 95 client in my network it asks me for just a passowrd (not a username). I've tried to enter the administrators password but that didn't work. Can anyone help?

Thanks

You cant use the administrator password nor one you are already on. Make an account in windows 2000 , make the account restricted. Then enter that account information from windows 98 in the box it gives you and it will let you enter. Tip if you have a logon box on 98 with a name and password put that exact name and password as the user on windows 2000 and then it will login when you log on windows 98.

Logon to Win9x with username and password already defined on Win2000 on which this shared directory resides, as in electronicsfreak second suggestion. This is the only way.
His first suggestion will not work because Win9x cannot interpret properly username request from Win2000 and will not ask for userneme, only for password, as you already have seen.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

What confused me when this first happened was the dialog. It said connect as. Not really thinking about it, I typed P: because that was what I wanted it to be connected as. I didn't know that it was asking for a username.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back