Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I boot my Windows XP (hard drive) from Floppy? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

milodunbar

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
US
Something uncanny has made my hard drive unbootable. I have a 800mhz Athelon, 1gb RAM, and Maxtor drives. Strange: I can bootup into CD-based Windows Setup, and I can reLOAD Windows onto the boot drive----until Setup wants to "reboot your computer". After many days of struggle, I thought the problem was in the BIOS, so I ordered an new/updated BIOS from ASUS. No luck.

So, I've finally given up. Can anyone help me boot up FROM FLOPPY, then run XP from the hard drive???

Thanks for ANY help.

Jim

Is there some thing wrong with the hard drive? Maybe it made you can't boot from hard drive, when the setup want to restart? when it hadn't install windows completely? If so, I advise you to use the software : PartionMagic, use another computer to make bootable diskkete, and the boot from the floppy, then you can read your information of hard drive, and you can operate correctly.

either that or go to

No it isnt my site, but it is a handy site to know ----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

Howdy:

I got my XP 6-pack (it uses 6 floppies to get everything on) from
There are two versions there.. One simply formats the hdd while the second set (the 6-pack) fdisks, formats and install the necessary files to load XP. In fact, once the floppies have finished loading, you just continue right into the setup.

Murray

If your hard drive/s are formatted FAT32, you can use a Win98 boot disk to read the drives. You may need to also run fdisk from the Win98 boot disk and make sure the hard drive is set Active.

Some virus may have attacked the operating system. When you boot up with a WinXP boot Disk, what does it tell You when you try to read the hard drive?

Do you have a WinXP Boot Disk?

If not ask a friend to make you one up.

I think WinXP CDROM will boot from CDROM if you change the CDROM to the secondary boot option after floppy, i.e.
BOOT ORDER: A,CDROM,C(HARD DRIVE)
I don't know if you want to reinstall the OS. This may require the OS License to be recertified.

This is why XP is such a pain! If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back