Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I automate future code updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobber

Programmer
Aug 18, 2000
US
Our organization has an Access 2000 Database named "Audit" containing numerous forms, queries, reports, etc. We also have a database named "AuditData" that houses data only (containing tables linked to "Audit"). These databases reside on about 40 separate laptop computers and are used by our auditors to perform field-work audits. All code changes are made by one individual and up to now involved creating a new mdb file (named "Audit.mdb") to copy over the old one on each of the laptops. This new file is sent by email to each employee. The file is about 2.5 megs in size and takes a while to copy from email. We have experimented with sending out an mdb file named "Changes.mdb" containing ONLY forms, reports, etc. that have changed. However, this requires us to rely on the employees to manually open up "Changes.mdb" and export the changes to "Audit.mdb" (putting a lot of faith in the employees to do it correctly). Does anyone know of a way of using code to automate this export procedure? (ie- code to open up "Changes.mdb" and export everything to "Audit.mdb" while dealing with the question about "overwriting existing information")? Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.

I have used this for many years and it works so far:

I write a DOS batch file to copy the file from the server to the local pc (the application mdb is copoied, not containing the data).

Before the copy, a code checks the version on the server compared to the local one. If it is older it copies it.

How does it work?
I use a blank text file called v2.4.5 for example. When the user is presented with the main menu, the OnPoen code check for the existence of v2.4.6.txt (assuming this is your new version). If it exists, the user is thrown out to WIndows but given a friendly message saying there is a new version and that they should upgrade. Tthey then click the Upgrade icon which does the file copying as in the first paragraph above so that everyone is forced to use the same version.

There is a more elegant solution in the Access book called Access 95 Power Programming by QUE which even logs users out automatically within a few set minutes if needed and allows for maintenance such as compacting! I decided to go for the simple code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back