Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I automate data collection on McData switch. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vptl

Technical User
Jan 22, 2004
US
Guys,

This is really pain. I really hope there has to be a solution to this !!.

I need to collect the McData switch info (similer to switch show / Which I did from gui useing Data Callection option from the gui.) autometically intoa flat file (don't care unix or dos format) so that I can use the info dynemically and pipe it to a script to filer and format the data.

Thanks,
vptl.

Hi,
I know this is not going to help you but in my years working with McDATA I haven'tcome across or seen anybody scripting this.
Colin

But do you agree that in a large environments (say more then 10 frames and 18+ McData ) you should have a proper way to generate the reports and monitor inventory ? .

It is not a question of a need but question of ability to enhance the env.

I really appreciate your ongoing interest in solutions.

Thanks,
vptl.

The env. I am mentioning is per site. (We have say 6+ sites in US only.)

I certainly agree there should be a quicker way of collecting the data collections in larger environments. However, the only time that I would use a data collection would be for debugging an issue on the fabric. The finacial institute that I am currently working with uses SNMP traps to monitor for events on the fabric.
The thing I find with Mcdata data collections is that there is les information contained within than the brocade support show. Another annoying thing is that the engineering.log used to be a readable file in the earlier versions of EFCM, don't suoppose you have a way of making this readable?
all the best,
Colin

McData switches now have command line functionality you can use to dump some of the data. I do not know the commands off the top of my head, but I seen a script floating around the net to do CLI zoning for a 10 Switch Fabric.

I think that might be fibrezone that runs on the Mcdata

Nope, it is an actual cli that you can telnet to. You will need to enable cli for each switch via the EFC Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back