Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I automate an Append Query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mraetrudeaujr

Technical User
Dec 20, 2004
US
I have been trying to develop an "Append" query that will pull the data from one table across the network and append it to the database that I'm currently working in. Sounds simple, but I only want the newly created records that aren't currently in this database -- not the whole table. As it stands right now, I have to 'import' the table into my database and then manually 'select', 'copy', and 'paste/append' them to my current table/database. A lot of steps when it seems that it could be automated by the click of a button, right? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Why not using a linked table and a single append query ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Thank goodness I made backups of my tables!

I went into the Help file in Access and followed the instructions on how to link the tables. After opening up the Main Form, the last record was listed as 622, when it should have been 652! Using the navigation controls takes me to the last record being 622, but in the table itself it is correct -- 652.

I have a listbox populated with a query of the table and now it returns a 'parameter-like' query prompt and doesn't populate this listbox. Wow. Things got broke. Clicking on my new "Add Record" button does, however, return the next record as being 653.

What is going on here? What am I missing?

Just a couple of thoughts:

What is the recordsource of your Main Form - I'd guess it's your original table (622 records) and not the linked table?

Also, do you actually need to have a separate table in your database, or could you just use the linked table? (Advantage - no need to run update or append queries; disadvantages - depend on what else you're doing with your database...)

Hope this helps,

Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back