Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I add or "join" two DSL conections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Does anybody know How can I add or "join" two DSL conections with de same isp provider.
Doens't matter hard o software solutions.
The problem is that the maximun speed of my isp provider is 2Mb aDSL. I've two of them in our cybercafe.
Each one provide us a download ratio about 210 KB/sec.
We want to "add" the two aDSL conections to get an 420 KB/sec download bandwith.

Thank's a lot!

Greetings from the only dessert of Europe.

I do not think this is possible only because of the hardware. Maybe and this is just a guess install a cisco
1750 router with 2 each dsl cards and see if you can bond them. I have not tried this solution however I'm sure
Cisco would help and anser your questions. Good Luck !!!
1-800-553-2447 J.Fisher CCNA
Jeter@LasVegas.com

From an IP & routing perspective you are going to have some VERY tricky problems here because you don't have control of the other end of the line (the ISP).
For the size of company that you are describing I'd say that hardware isn't the solution for you (if it exists).
I'd look toward the ISP and see if they can put you on a less crowded circuit to up the available bandwidth. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Do you solve your problem?
dantesleung@hongkong.com

since no one machine needs more than 2 meg, it is just that in total they need more than 2 meg, why not just make two internal networks? Each can be fed from one router, in fact, I THINK you can have one network and just use two different gateway addresses, say all the evens go to router0 and all the odds go to router1 I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Jimbopalmer's suggestion seems the best way to go. Either split the network into two, use two gateways, or maybe you could load balance the two circuits using OSPF or something! There's more than one way to skin a cat!

Have you spoken to your ISP about this? Maybe they could suggest something.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Not true you can use a software product that let's you shotgun both DSL connections and work's fine. I'll get back to you on this, later.

Rampnet had a hardware solution that allowed bonding of ISDN at just one end, but they went under. I have seen bonding for 'slow' speeds but not T1 speeds except in hardware at both ends. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I know that midcore.co.uk has developped a solution that lets a lan use multiple connections and bind them as one.
It uses some kind of load balancing at the packet level. All you need is a dedicated computer running somekind of MS OS (like windows 98 or 2000) with the software installed on it. Install as many ethernet NICs as you need and add your modems at the end of it. The main problem with your ISP is that they have to load-balance between the mutliple IPs they assign to your network. My ISP likes this solution and I'm about to get something working with them. If that type of solution could come into hardware, it would be a very hard blast the the Leased line providers who sell bandwidth a very expensive (and prohibitive for SOHO users) price.
regards,

Nexus21

Have you hear of "IMUX" or DSL bonding?

Maybe this will be helpful:
Inverse Multiplexer - a device which allows the "bonding" of individual communications channels into a channel with bandwidth equaling the SUM of all the channels bonded. For example, if you had three ISDN BRI circuits (each offering dual 64 Kbs service) you could use an IMUX to bond all six channels into a 384 Kbs communications channel. [ 384 Kbs is the almost universal transmission rate being used between schools and corporations for compressed video distant learning and videoconferencing applications in the United States.]

Summer

It is possible and there are several options.. Hardware
would be my choice..
Although this will not combine the two to make doudle the bandwidth, it will balance the two, and use one as backup if one fails.. Read the specs.
There are several other hardare options, I just don't have the links handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back